Monday, July 21, 2014

Racing in Wisconsin - notes from a weekend in the Badger State

When I found out this spring that we wouldn't be racing at Independence Motor Speedway the weekend of July 16 due to a concert during the Buchanan County Fair, I made plans to do some traveling. I spoke with Chet Christner, the new Operations Manager at 141 Speedway in Francis Creek, Wis., about plans to head to northeast Wisconsin during my weekend off.

I stuck to those plans this past weekend, made the six hour trip to the Green Bay area and took in two nights of racing, along with some sightseeing along Lake Michigan in Manitowoc plus a trip to Lambeau Field.

Initially, I was hoping to watch the races at Luxemburg Speedway Friday night, however they, too, were off due to the Kewaunee County Fair. After talking it over with Chet, we decided to venture to a track new to both of us - Manitowoc County Expo Speedway.

After visiting a friend in northern Illinois Thursday, I ventured north and made my way to Manitowoc by the middle of the afternoon Friday. I played it by ear and hadn't made any hotel reservations prior to arriving, so I settled for the Super 8 just off the highway.

After discovering Manitowoc had a population of nearly 35,000, I figured I'd have to dial in the GPS to find the track - which isn't always an easy task. Race tracks and GPS don't always go hand-in-hand.

Upon checking in, I asked the hotel attendant if the race track was in the vicinity.

To my pleasant surprise, she replied, "Yep, it sure is. Actually, it's within walking distance."

After a brief hesitation, she said, "Although I wouldn't actually walk if I were you."

I must have given her a puzzled look because she continued to say there were heavy traffic areas and driving would make the trip easier. It was less than a mile away so I was good to go.

After a quick trip to the lake to snap some pictures, I met Chet at the track. Listed as a 1/3-mile clay oval, the track was relatively flat, but provided for some great racing all night. The fact that the WDLMA Late Models were on-hand for a $1,500-to-win special made the show that much better.

A nice field of 27 Late Models signed in and it was Nick Anvelink parking his #15 in victory lane after some impressive driving through lapped traffic in what I believe was a 50-lap feature.

I heard reports that the crowds in Manitowoc were generally very low, with typical numbers hovering around the 100 mark for grandstand spectators. The crowd Friday night was fantastic, which many locals attributed to the Late Model special.

Manitowoc also had a Grand National division (which reminded me of the Pro Stocks and Limited Late Models from past years on Iowa ovals), a local SportMod division (which had some crossover with local IMCA sanctioned tracks) and Sport 4s (the local four cylinder division).

Apparently, recently low car counts led the track to remove 360 Sprints from its weekly schedule, but that didn't keep the crowd home Friday night.

After the races concluded at around 10 p.m., I made my way back to the hotel to rest up for a busy Saturday. That following morning, I made the 30 minute trip north to Green Bay to get a close-up look at Lambeau Field before heading about 20 miles back south to Francis Creek for that evening's races.

As track owner Toby Kruse said Saturday night, the atmosphere is unique. The layout of the facility alone, which includes a full-service bar overlooking the race track, and an egg-shaped 1/3-mile oval (some say it's closer to 1/4-mile), makes the visit to 141 a fantastic experience. Add to that, the people in Wisconsin are incredibly friendly and welcoming and made the visit that much more enjoyable.

Turns one and two offer up a lot of racing room, however the back stretch carries you down to a narrow turns three and four, which makes for some intense racing. Two and three-wide racing was common throughout nearly every heat race and feature Saturday night. It's simply a great place to watch a race and there really is no bad seat in the house... assuming you can find a seat. The stands were packed and I understand that is typical for a Saturday night at 141.

The IMCA Modified feature was a thrilling 21-lap event. Benji LaCrosse eventually came out on top after Jeremy Jacobs and Brad Lautenbach battled and swapped the lead.

Dustin Loberger earned the IMCA Stock Car win after holding off a slew of drivers in that 21-lapper and Robbie Thiel got his first IMCA Northern SportMod win of the year. The Grand Nationals also compete at 141 and Charlie Sancinati (pronounced Cincinnati... how's that for the perfect name for a racer?) took top honors while Mike Conard won in Street Stocks and Matt Brehmer earned his seventh win of the year in the Sport 4s. Angie and Brian, I'm still upset I didn't see the fist pump!

Although I'd been to other tracks in Wisconsin, there were a few nuances about the programs in this past weekend that I've never seen in Iowa. Rather than tractor tires, Manitowoc used a dozen garbage barrels (much like you see at most dirt tracks that people are expected to, but rarely do, use to throw away their trash) as their barriers. The barrels were stationed next to tires that were buried in each set of turns.

The barrels offered a clean, crisp appearance, however they did get in on the action throughout the show. Yes, they created minimal damage to cars that may have driven into them, but they were light in weight and made their way onto the track on occasion. While the locals said they cause more cautions than they're worth, I don't believe the yellow flag waved once Friday night for a barrel on the loose.

A second unique thing I noticed at both Manitowoc and 141 was the lack of victory lane interviews. I know most folks in Iowa are used to hearing the winning drivers interviewed in victory lane, however that wasn't the case this weekend.

Actually, according to Chet, victory lane interviews don't occur much at all in Wisconsin. He found out first-hand that race fans in the area aren't interested in hearing their favorite winning drivers talk about their wins. After attempting a victory lane interview earlier in the season, Chet said it was a one-and done deal. The folks in Wisconsin want their racing and don't feel the need to be interrupted by hearing the winning drivers speak.

Rather than interview the winners, the winning drivers are asked to help open the show the following week. At both Manitowoc and 141, last week's winners were given American flags and followed the pace car around the track during the national anthem. I have to admit, that was pretty sweet.

One other interesting thing I noticed was that the feature for the four cylinder division was the last event on the schedule both nights... and very few people left until the entire show was over. Yes, Wisconsin race fans really do love their racing and they respect the competitors in every division taking part in the show.

Thanks to Chet, Toby and the entire 141 crew for their hospitality Saturday night. I had a great time and have already made plans to return for the Creek Classic in October.

The only concern I had about the show (other than the missing fist pump) was the mysterious mustard stain that appeared on my shorts. Like I told Angie Moeller and Brian Lautenbach in the scoring booth, I don't remember table dancing on the condiment table, but the weekend was kind of a blur, so anything is possible!

Next up for me is a mid-week trip to Buena Vista Raceway in Alta this Wednesday where I'll be filling in on the mic for Chad Meyer. I've been to BVR three times before - once for a July 4 special around 12 years ago and Hawkeye Dirt Tour races in 2012 and 2013. I'm looking forward to seeing my first weekly program in Alta.

Thursday is the first of two big shows this week at Independence Motor Speedway. The World of Outlaws Late Model Series and XSAN Hawkeye Dirt Tour for IMCA Modifieds will take center stage July 24. Details for that event are available at www.independencemotorspeedway.com. Reminder: That event will not be broadcast live so if you want to see it as it happens, we invite you to Independence this Thursday. The Modified portion of the show will be available on video at www.xsan.tv at a later date.

Saturday, make-up features in the IMCA Late Models, IMCA Northern SportMods and IMCA Hobby Stocks are scheduled in Independence. That will be followed by a complete program for all five weekly divisions.

It's a busy week all over the region and the weather looks great. Be sure to support a track in your area as the second half of the season is in full swing.

Have a great week and, as always, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment